Monday, December 15, 2008

The film Milk by Gus Van Sant



Mark, Nicole and I went to see Milk last night, the movie about Harvey Milk's rise to be the first openly gay politician in the US. I am a huge fan of Gus Van Sant movies (Good Will Hunting, Elephant) and I was pleased with the way he portrayed each of the people in the movie. I was saddened by one fact that he blatantly left out- the fact that Dan White tried to also assassinate Willie Brown (a black assemblyman, later becoming SF Mayor) but missed him by a matter of minutes. I felt that this fact was quite relevant.

The movie was wonderfully done, quite accurate, and beautifully shot. Sean Penn, Emile Hirsch, Josh Brolin and James Franco were wonderful.

Its a scary reminder sometimes to see that the fight we're all fighting for basic human equality has been around for a long long time. I thought it was relevant that many of the black people in SF supported the gay rights movement, whereas now, there seems to be a different stance. I'm proud to be from SF, but I would be scared to know how my grandparents thought about all this happening in SF at that time. Im sure my Portuguese catholic family wasn't the most open minded.

I just read a really great article by Newsweek: http://www.newsweek.com/id/172653
The article makes a case for gay marriage in the bible... I hope more people start to see that Jesus would embrace the gays/lesbians and include them, rather than hate them.

*stepping down from the soapbox*

No comments: