Sunday, January 11, 2009

Dinner Party: Soul Food Theme

We have a group of amazingly talented cooks for friends- and we get together monthly for potluck themed dinner parties. This month's theme was Soul Food. Nobody held back and many people thought that this was the best meal to date. We make everything from scratch-

Rachel & Mark: Buttermilk Biscuits, coleslaw, stewed tomatoes and okra and peach cobbler. The okra was a huge hit, which is good because I was a little ambivalent about it. The coleslaw (my mom's recipe) is always a hit. The cobbler was good- and the biscuits were flake and yummy!
100_3285100_3284100_3280100_3271

Aubrey & Chet brought homemade gumbo (it was amazing) and collard greens:

100_3289100_3282

Katie & Chris brought the single best macaroni and cheese I have ever eaten in my life. This was my favorite dish of the night. I cant tell you how good this was!

100_3283100_3288

Matt & Kelly made chicken fried steak, which I cant eat b/c of the beef- but I heard good reviews and mashed potatoes, that were yummy!

100_3277100_3278

Ben made spoon bread- its like a corn bread with cream cheese delciousness... it was AMAZING and a sweet potato pie that was good (but it had a little too much whiskey in it for me).

100_3279100_3281

And last but certainly not least, Jessica made one of the best cakes I have ever eaten. She called it a blueberry/lemon pound cake. It was like a giant delicious muffin with tons of blueberries... I cant say enough, I had some for breakfast... this was phenomenal! I just realized that I don't have a picture of it!!! Darn... It was really good regardless of photos!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mmmm, soul food....

I love this monthly dinner party thing you have going on! I may have to incorporate...